HowTo: Nautilus integration
- Sharing selected folders as an UPnP A/V MediaServer
- Uploading selected files to UPnP A/V MediaServers
- Sending a file for playback to an UPnP A/V MediaRenderer
- Open Tickets for this backend
Coherence does provide three extensions that allow some interaction with the UPnP A/V world from within Nautilus.
- sharing selected folders as an UPnP A/V MediaServer
- uploading selected files to UPnP A/V MediaServers that provide a ContentDirectoryService? CreateObject? action
- sending a selected file for playback to an UPnP A/V MediaRenderer
The extensions use DBus to communicate with a Coherence instance.
[D-BUS Service] Name=org.Coherence Exec=/usr/bin/coherence -o use_dbus:yes -o controlpoint:yes
or start Coherence yourself with '/usr/bin/coherence -o use_dbus:yes -o controlpoint:yes'. Alternatively you can supply these options in the configuration file.
Sharing selected folders as an UPnP A/V MediaServer
The extension coherence_upnp_export_extension.py can be activated via the context menu after selecting one or more folders:
The following dialog allows the configuration of the MediaServer:
Cancel aborts configuration, Apply shares the folders in the list, Remove disables sharing of a folder. The icon in front of the folders path describes whether the folder is currently shared, will be shared or removed upon apply.
Uploading selected files to UPnP A/V MediaServers
The extension coherence_upnp_upload_extension.py can be activated via the context menu after selecting one or more files.
It uploads files to UPnP A/V MediaServers that provide a ContentDirectoryService? CreateObject? action, e.g. the Nokia N-Series phones with WLAN and some of the Coherence MediaServers:
The following dialog allows the upload of the chosen files to the MediaServer:
You need to select in the combo-box above the list the MediaServer you want the files to be uploaded to. In the image you see the Coherence Flickr backend selected, which will upload the files into your Flickr account.Apply then starts the uploading process or Cancel just terminates about.
Sending a file for playback to an UPnP A/V MediaRenderer
The extensions use the Nautilus Python interface, you probably can install that with something like sudo apt-get install python-nautilus.
Copy the content of the directory Nautilus to ~/.nautilus/python-extensions (might be necessary to add missing parts of the path first), or choose only one of the extensions.
You can test the extensions without restarting Nautilus like this:
mkdir /tmp/testing export TMPDIR=/tmp/testing nautilus --no-desktop
Open Tickets for this backend
- change cursor to busy when browsing
- extensions should check for the mimetype before sending or upload files
- play_extension should create MetaData
- play_extension should startup the A/V ControlPoint
- Translate widgets
- if a branch has not been retrieved it says(0) items
- Nautilus scripts don't work in Debian Testing/Unstable
- applet-coherence crashed with SIGSEGV in QSystemTrayIcon::~QSystemTrayIcon()
- export-context.png (53.8 kB) -
context menu to share as a MediaServer, added by dev on 20.10.2008 16:54:00.
- upload-context.png (67.4 kB) -
context menu to upload files to a MediaServer, added by dev on 20.10.2008 17:00:29.
- Coherence DLNA-UPnP Share.png (14.3 kB) -
dialog to enable/disable sharing of folders, added by dev on 20.10.2008 17:22:05.
- Coherence DLNA-UPnP Upload.png (15.2 kB) -
dialog to upload files into a MediaServer, added by dev on 20.10.2008 17:22:49.
- play-context.png (46.6 kB) -
context menu to send a file to a DLNA/UPnP MediaRenderer, added by dev on 22.10.2008 23:42:36.